The Smith-Mallahy-Masciarelli Funeral Home, located at 243 Water St. in Fitchburg, is the second oldest Funeral Home in the city of Fitchburg and is the result of a merger of the former Mallahy Funeral Home and John R. Smith Co. The former Mallahy Funeral Home was founded in 1874 by the late Thomas J. Butler. First located on Main Street, it was later moved to Water St . under the ownership of the late James Phelan. In 1919, the late William P. Mallahy assumed ownership and moved the business to Highland Ave. in Fitchburg. Mallahy continued until 1964 when he retired and the late Henry J. Masciarelli, a funeral director at the John R. Smith Co. since 1949 became the new owner of the firm.
The John R. Smith Co., also had a long history within the city. It was founded in 1890 by the late John R. Smith, who was a former Postmaster. Eventually, the business was sold to the late Daniel B. Neville, his assistant and later, in 1935 to the late Harold R. Root. Ownership was eventually assumed by Root's son, Michael Root, who sold the business in 1981 to Henry J. Masciarelli and his son, John F. Masciarelli, who became president of the business in 1991.
The Sawyer-Miller-Masciarelli Funeral Home was founded before 1900. The Sawyer Funeral Home, a Fitchburg historical landmark, is the oldest such business in the city. It was founded in 1868 by the late M.W. Cummings originally at 211 Main Street, and it was moved to its current location at 129 Elm Street in 1927 under the direction of the late J.L. Sawyer Sr. and H.L. Sawyer Jr.
Mr. Howard Miller opened the first and only Funeral Home in Lunenburg in 1970 in the Rodney Brown Victorian estate at 763 Massachusetts Ave. in Lunenburg. The Sawyer Funeral Home was purchased in 1974 from the late Albert Congram by Howard J. Miller. In 1976, Mr. Miller opened the first and only Funeral Home in the estate formerly owned by the late Laura Miller. This is the Funeral Home at 123 Main Street in Westminster. These three Funeral Homes were purchased in 1997 by John F. Masciarelli. In January of 2011, to better serve our families, the Fitchburg Chapel of the Sawyer-Miller-Masciarelli Funeral Homes at 129 Elm St., Fitchburg, was closed and merged with the Smith-Mallahy-Masciarelli Funeral Home at 243 Water St., Fitchburg. The new merger at 243 Water St. will be known as the Smith-Mallahy-Masciarelli Funeral Home and the Fitchburg Chapel of the Sawyer-Miller-Masciarelli Funeral Homes. The Funeral Home went under complete renovation and modernization in 2006, and has been singled out for its unique and beautiful appearance inside and out and is fully handicap accessible and has accommodations for 200 + people.